Tuition & Financial Aid
Each year, tuition is set at a level that enables every student to enjoy the exceptional experience that is Vermont Commons School. The funding allows us to retain high-quality educators, provide a modern campus with up-to-date facilities, and maintain small class sizes. The Comprehensive Fee is for the entire academic year and covers all normal parts of the school program; it includes the textbook and activity fees, athletic fees, lab fees, programs, clubs, field trips and Encounter Week programs. (Programs involving national or international travel, extra tutoring, or individually designed activities such as music lessons are not included in the Comprehensive Fee.). It is our intent that the Vermont Commons student body be broadly representative of the community at-large and that our education be accessible to every admitted student. Our Financial Aid Program is intended to help us accomplish this goal. Traditionally, the school has allocated up to 16.5% of the operating budget to financial aid. Approximately 30% of our students receive Financial Aid, with an average award of $12,500.
The Comprehensive Fee for the 2023-24 school year is:
- $27,900 for 6th-8th grades
- $31,900 for 9th-12th grades
Most middle school families will pay between $12,650 – $27,900 and most high school families will pay between $16,450 – $31,900 for tuition for the 2023-24 school year.
We offer generous interest-free payment plans that help families spread out the cost of a VCS education within each academic year, as needed. Within 7 days of acceptance to the school, Vermont Commons requires the first tuition payment from newly admitted families to secure a space for the student.
Click here for information for international students
Families who anticipate requesting financial assistance apply at the time they submit their re-enrollment contract or admissions application by completing the Parents Financial Statement through Blackbaud Financial Aid Management and providing their 1040 tax form for the current year. The online application portal is found here. All information is kept strictly confidential and is limited to the Financial Aid Committee. Financial Aid awards do not exceed 80% of tuition. Please note that the school makes its admissions and financial aid decisions independently of one another.
Families applying for Financial Aid should review the Vermont Commons School Financial Assistance resource document and Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions, which go into more detail regarding circumstances common among families at Vermont Commons.
- Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions
- Instructions for applying accessing the Blackbaud Financial Aid Application
- Begin the Application
- Returning families who intend to apply for Financial Aid for the 2024-2025 academic year must submit a complete application with all supporting documents (including 2021 tax returns) by February 20, 2024. Late submissions result in reduced financial aid allocations or non-allocations.
- Families new to Vermont Commons applying for admission and financial aid after these deadlines will receive full consideration on a rolling basis. Please contact our Business Manager, Linda Bursell at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Vermont Commons does not review requests for financial assistance unless a student has been accepted to the school.