Mission & Guiding Principles
Scholarship. Community. Global Responsibility.
- Scholarship is engagement with an academically rigorous curriculum fostering independent thinking and intellectual curiosity.
- Through direct interaction and application of skills and knowledge, the world is our classroom, lab, and studio.
- Our community values respect for self and others, honesty and integrity, and diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Global responsibility emerges from the understanding that our choices and actions impact our communities and require a commitment to service.
- Environmental stewardship arises through experience and informed appreciation of the interdependence between oneself and the natural world.
- Health and wellness result from an intentional balance of one’s academics, activities, emotional needs, and social interactions.
- Leadership is cultivated through dedicated training and continuous opportunities.
- Collaboration between students and faculty forms the fabric of the Vermont Commons experience.