Second Semester, 2020-21 School Year
While the 2020-21 school year continues to be unlike any other, our dedication to fulfilling our Mission–and teaching and learning according to our Guiding Principles–is exactly like any other period of learning in the life of Vermont Commons School.
We have been carefully evaluating the options for the Second Semester. Our team, which consists of the Executive Committee, Admin Team and Faculty, has been meticulously gathering and reviewing community input from teachers, students, and parents/guardians, tracking health and safety information and state-level guidance, and following emerging best practices on hybrid teaching and learning models which best reflect the School’s commitment to scholarship, community, global responsibility, stewardship, leadership and collaboration.
Our stated goals driving the decision of the Second Semester program 2020 are:
- Uncompromised Scholarship
- Sustained Community
- Minimized health risk to Faculty and Students
- Response to Parent/Guardian and Student request for learning in core academic classes in the building
The best and most manageable and workable option for our School for the Second Semester is to continue our carefully curated, hybrid approach of online learning and in-person outdoor experiences with the addition of a day of in-person learning in core classes in the building each week. This spring semester program continues along the successful, enriching, mission-fulfilling educational roadmap for Vermont Commons School, true to our heritage, our identity, our culture, and our long-term future.
- Continued success of the proven five days of engaged learning from the fall semester
- Core Classes (online) Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, morning of Fridays
- Encounter Experiences (in-person) Wednesdays: full-day, outdoor, experiential education days
- Flex Time: Friday afternoons, from lunch-on, for clubs, office hours, honors classes, extended art and music, events and more
- One day/week for each Core Group together in the building learning in their core classes, in a pod with 1 – 2 teachers and one administrator
- Option for students to remain totally online
- See a Sample Student Schedule
For anyone who was unable to attend our detailed rollout presentation on December 9th, we have made a recording of the midday session available for you to view! Click here to go to the video on Youtube.
And for more information, please see
We are confident that this model will continue to offer our students the platform for continued scholarly success, while enhancing the creative outlet and human connection they need that is unique to Vermont Commons School, while also continuing to respect emerging medical guidance and individuals’ personal health and safety preferences. We will continue to evaluate and assess the situation throughout the second semester, ensuring we are compliant with guidelines and providing a safe learning environment, while also being able to expand in-building learning as conditions allow.